Sunday, February 21, 2016

A journal reflection from our silent retreat at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit


It feels so good to be here, in this moment, in the middle of the quiet, to feel at home and at ease in the silence, uninterrupted, a refuge from the chaos of sound. Despite even the cozy ruralness of Jubilee, we are surrounded by sound. But now I hear only the sound of my own heartbeat, which centers me. For many people silence is awkward, but for me it is safe; a deep, calming breath. There is a time for sound and silence, but our culture is deficient of silence. In the quiet I come home to myself, and home to the Maker of quiet. We dwell in the silence together.

I do not need any astonishing epiphanies in these 24 hours. I just need the refreshing detox from cluttersome noise, a refreshing drink of stillness, to remember how good it is so that I may be compelled to seek more of it in daily life. I do not need to check anything off my to-do list, but to simply relish this present space, which reminds me that every moment is precious, every moment holds the sacred, which is not to put on pressure of “making every moment count” in the sense of efficiency, but to count every moment as ripe with potential for good, whether that be in the stilling of my hands or in the celebrating of my hands through positive action.

“Behold a tree. It says to us: God is not working himself into a frenzy in me. I am calmly, quietly pouring forth my life and bringing forth fruit. Do likewise.” (Clarence Jordan, paraphrase)

Feel the passage of time and do not let it threaten you. Approach Time as a friend rather than an enemy. Linear time, as we experience it, with its assurance of limitations, invites us to live each moment as a gift. Give yourself the grace to embrace the simple goodness of today.




Una reflexión de nuestro retiro en el Monasterio del Espíritu Santo

Me siento bien estar aquí, en este momento, en medio de la quietud, sentirme cómoda en el silencio, ininterrumpida, un refugio del caos del sonido. Aún a pesar del paisaje rural y acogedor de Jubilee, somos rodeados por el sonido. Pero ahora oigo solamente el sonido del latido de mi propio corazón, que me centra. Para mucha gente, el silencio es algo descómodo, pero para mí es algo seguro; un aliento profundo y calmante. Hay un tiempo para el sonido y el silencio, pero nuestra cultura está deficiente del silencio. En la quietud me vengo a casa, y a casa del Creador del silencio. Moramos en el silencio juntos.

No necesito ninguna epifanía en estas 24 horas. Sólo necesito la desintoxicación refrescante del sonido embrollante, una bebida de tranquilidad, para recordarme qué bueno es, para que yo pueda ser motivada buscarla más en la vida diaria. No necesito marcar nada de mi lista de cosas que hacer, sino simplemente disfrutar este espacio presente, lo que me recuerda que cada momento es precioso, cada momento contiene lo sagrado. Y eso no se pone la presión de “hacer contar cada momento” en el sentido de la eficacia, sino contar cada momento como maduro con la potencial de lo bueno, si esto sea en el calmar de mis manos o en el celebrar de mis manos por la acción positiva.

“Mira a un árbol. Nos dice: Dios no se está trabajando hasta la extenuación en mí. Estoy calmamente, tranquilamente manando mi vida y llevando adelante la fruta. Haz tú lo mismo.” (Clarence Jordan, paráfrasis)

Siéntete el paso de tiempo y no lo permite a amenazarte. Encuéntrate con el Tiempo como un amigo más que un enemigo. El tiempo linear, como lo experimentamos, con su garantía de límites, nos invita vivir cada momento como un regalo. Dáte la gracia de abrazar la sencilla bondad de hoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment