Friday, July 26, 2013

miscellaneous

GUIDE TO HOUSTON
If you ever come to Houston, here are a few places I've enjoyed...

Hermann Park (includes Miller Theatre, Japanese gardens, etc.)
Discovery Green
Villa de Matel (where we had our Silence Retreat)
Kaboom Bookstore

On my Mission Year budget, I haven't been out to eat very often, nor do I consider myself a connoisseur of food, but for what it's worth, here are a few of my favorite food stops:
Georgia's Market
The Hobbit Café
Niko Niko's
Chipotle (My first experience, thanks to Josh)
And of course, the ever-popular taquerías (taco trucks), panaderías (bakeries), and Raspas (snow cone joints) in our neighborhood!

Free Art Museums!
The Menil Collection
Rothko Chapel
Art League of Houston
Museum of Fine Arts (free Thursdays)


BOOKS
In case you missed it, here's a list of the curriculum reading we did this year. Bolded are the ones I especially liked:

Restoring At-Risk Communities John M. Perkins, Editor
The Way of the Heart By Henri Nouwen
Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? By Beverly Daniel Tatum
Serve God Save the Planet By Matthew Sleeth
The Ragamuffin Gospel By Brennan Manning
Jesus and the Disinherited By Howard Thurman
Jesus for President By Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw
Wisdom of Stability By Jonathan Wilson Hartgrove
Flat Broke: Women in an Age of Welfare Reform By Sharon Hays
The House on Mango St By Sandra Cisneros
Simple Spirituality: By Chris Heurtz
Welcoming the Stranger By Mathew Soerens and Ginny Hwang

No comments:

Post a Comment