Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What I love about our life (in no particular order):

Hey friends, some more Christmas break reflections.....

Limited access to internet. After about the first month of walking all the way to the library just to send an email, I sometimes thought: “Okay, I get it. Can I have my internet back now?” But the benefits have far outweighed the inconvenience by now. It is so refreshing to not have constant access to something that so easily swallows my attention and robs me of the joy of fully engaging with real people. I can't keep in touch with everyone I wish I could, even if I did have more access to internet, but I can love those right in front of me.
Budgeting. Since the beginning of college, I have diligently kept track of my finances. However, this is the first time I've had a specific allotment to spend on a monthly basis. What a brilliant strategy for making more thoughtful purchases! Why have I never done this before? I also appreciate the limitations of our grocery budget. We must use creativity and problem-solving (and math) skills to make wise purchases each week, carefully addressing our needs before wants. Not that we haven't experienced an abundance of food thanks to the generosity of friends, but I have noticed how abundance can lead to a loss of appreciation. I find myself feeling frustrated when our pantry or refrigerator is overflowing. When that happens, something inevitably goes to waste, I am more likely to snack even if I'm not hungry, and my gratitude gets lost somewhere in the superfluity. There is beauty in asking God to give us today our daily bread, literally.
Playing with kids. Interacting with kids was not a possibility I actively thought about as I anticipated Mission Year. But, lo and behold, a good chunk of my time is spent doing just that! And I remember how awkward it felt getting into it, but now my life feels so much richer because of it. When was the last time before this that I let my guard down enough to be silly with children? What a relief to give myself permission to do that! And what a joy to teach them and to share with them.
Being generous with my art. I am considering this year a Year of Jubilee for my art. Rather than hoarding and documenting every sketch to prepare it for sale, it has been a breath of fresh air to freely make art and to freely give it.
Public transport. I love not having a car! I don't have to buy gas, and I am less uptight about getting places on time because there is little to nothing I can do to control that. The bus ride to Fletcher in the morning is a blessed deep breath before starting the day, and the ride home a blessed time of deflation and reflection.
Doing life together. I love togetherness. I look forward to devos in the morning, curriculum discussions, making music together, team dinners, team nights...even our team meetings (I am the weird one in our house, clearly.). As someone with an introverted personality, I appreciate that we are placed in a position where we are challenged to be open and vulnerable with one another. It can take a heck of a long time for people to get to know me. I'm not sure I've ever gotten to know people this well in such a short amount of time.
No television. No surprise there. Those of you who know me well are familiar with my disdain for t.v.
Music. Living in a house of musicians has newly brought to my attention how vital and life-giving music is in my life. Music is truly the ultimate catharsis. I think I would die without it.
Seeking justice. It is so encouraging to live in a community of people with a common vision for justice. We are learning how we can take steps toward becoming more responsible consumers and stewards of the earth. As people who are often at the end of a long supply chain, it can be overwhelming to figure out where our products and food come from, but we are owning up to our responsibility, and little by little making adjustments together toward more honorable habits and lifestyles.
Our living situation. There are a number of things that are unique to our team. The typical Mission Year team is not as large as eight people. Teams are usually focused on one community, whereas our team is actively connected to 3-4 communities (neighborhood, service sites, church – this can be viewed as an advantage or disadvantage). Teams do not typically live on old church campuses that are being renovated into exciting new facilities. Teams do not typically have access to the resources that subsequently come along with all these things. (If you hadn't noticed yet, our team wins.) I want to soak up all of these gifts to the fullest.

Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment