Friday, September 21, 2012

Catching Up: Part 1

It's hard to figure out what to write about for my first in-Houston post. If I could tell you everything that has moved my heart over the past few weeks, we'd be here a long time and they'd probably kick me out of the library.

Let's start with my housemates...


Thanks to these beautiful people, I don't think I could feel any more at home in a foreign city as I do now. I live in a house full of fantastic musicians, and I am so excited to see where this goes! These past few weeks have been a time of beginning to discover who we are. What makes him laugh? What annoys her? Who opened up right away, and who is holding back? And why? And what is it like to live with me? Our perceptions constantly shift as we try to figure each other out, but it is remarkable how quickly you can get to know people that you are suddenly living with. And it's simply uncanny to me just how well we've all been getting along since Day 1! I wake up and pinch myself to make sure I haven't dreamed this.

In a few short weeks, things that were once unusual for me have become ordinary. But as Brennan Manning says, "We encounter God in the ordinariness of life." We spend more time waiting for buses than we do riding them. We spend more time walking home from the grocery store than we do shopping. We play volleyball with the homeless. And then there's my service site, where I spend mornings speaking Spanglish with toddlers and afternoons playing dodgeball and soccer with preteens.

I'm super crunched for time, but here are some more highlights from this month:
My trumpet, which I've barely touched over the past four years, has been seeing the light of day again.
David Crowder led worship at our church last Sunday :)
Last Saturday we had some neighbors (who happen to have 8 brand new adorable puppies) over to our house for frisbee, homemade pizza, and music. It was absolutely wonderful!

Little by little we are growing in love.
Until next week....!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment